JOPLIN, Mo. – The Missouri Western baseball team lost to Missouri-St. Louis Friday 6-2 in their first game of the MIAA/GLVC Crossover in Joplin. It’s the seventh consecutive loss for the Griffons as they fall to 1-7 this season.
Andrew Meier got the start for the Griffs, striking out four batters in three innings. Unfortunately, Meier also took the loss allowing all six runs in those three innings. Jake Gilbert and Ronnie Wigginton also got on the mound as they added five strikeouts to the cause. Bobby Shallenberger got the win for the Tritons striking out six Griffons through seven innings pitched. The Tritons scored five of their six runs on four hits during the third inning from which the Griffons could not recover.
– The Griffon batters finished with eight hits on the day. Andrew Meier led the way with two, while Josh Robinson, Brady Holden, Gustavo Gonzales, Colby Tam, Zach Pych and Brock Wrolstad each tallied a hit for the day.
– The Griffon fielders tallied 24 putouts and only one error throughout the contest.
– Josh Robinson now leads the Griffs in runs with six through eight games.
– Robinson also leads with a hitting percentage of .391 through the start of the 2020 season.
– Andrew Meier has also landed in double digits in hits for the season with 11.
– Jake Gilbert has also only allowed four hits through six relief innings in the early start of his season.
The Griffons will return to Warren Turner Field to take on Maryville University at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday.
— MWSU Athletics —