ST. JOSEPH – Missouri Western Baseball recorded their first series sweep of the 2020 season on Sunday afternoon. The Griffons (8-15, 3-3 MIAA) beat Rogers State (9-10, 0-6 MIAA) 11-10 in game three in their first home conference series of the year.
The Griffons brought out seven different pitchers to throw in Sunday’s game. Andrew Meier got the start for game three and only pitched a single inning allowing three runs to the Hillcats. Justin Wood, Jacob Cooper, Talbott Buford and Jake Gilbert were brought in for relief of Meier before Brock Wrolstad and Brian Tan finished out the game with the victory and save, respectively.
Sunday’s game featured 10 runs from the Hillcats, including seven that held the lead until the sixth inning. In the seventh, Andrew Meier’s single brought in Ben Tsui to take the 9-8 lead which the Griffons held for the rest of the contest. Rogers State would attempt to retake the lead with some late game heroics in the ninth, but Brian Tan left one Hillcat on base to close it out.
– Brian Tan recorded his third save of the season on Sunday afternoon, second on the series against the Hillcats.
– The Griffons tallied 13 hits throughout the contest. Gustavo Gonzales recorded three, while Andrew Meier, Zach Hanlan and Nolan Meyer would tally two apiece.
– Meyer had a great offensive series against the Hillcats hitting two doubles and two home runs, along with recording four RBIs throughout the three games.
– The Griffons stranded seven Hillcats on base in game three including five in the last four innings of play.
– The Griffon fielders also tallied 17 assists on 27 putouts. Chas Verduzco recorded seven of those 17, while Gustavo Gonzales and Alex Crouch added three apiece.
The Griffons travel to Joplin, Missouri on Friday, Mar. 13 to compete in a three-series with Missouri Southern.
— MWSU Athletics —